Once you finished running payroll for the current year and W-2 forms are available, you may print and file your W-2 forms. Mentioned below is the process to prepare and print W-2 forms without payroll subscription from QuickBooks.
Requirements to prepare W-2 forms
Supported QuickBooks Version:
Intuit usually provides support for the latest three versions only, ensure that you are using a supported QuickBooks Desktop version.
Active QuickBooks Payroll:
You should have an active QuickBooks Payroll subscription (Standard or Enhanced Payroll Service) to do payroll forms related activities.
Latest Payroll Tax Table:
Latest Payroll Tax Table ensures correct payroll tax calculations.
W-2 papers and Print options:
You should have W-2 papers that work with your payroll service and the printer( For inkjet printer, use preprinted forms and for laser printer, use either blank / perforated papers or preprinted forms for best results).
Mentioned below are the steps to print W-2 forms in QuickBooks Desktop version
- From the menu bar go to Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms
2. Select Annual Form W-2/W-3 – Wage and Tax Statement/Transmittal in the File Forms section and click the Create Form button
3.In the File Forms window, use the scroll bar to scroll down the list. If you do not see the form in the list, the form may be inactive.To activate the form, click the Forms drop-down arrow, and choose Make a New Form Active.
Click the State drop-down arrow and choose Federal.
Select the W-2 form, and click Add Form.
Now you should be able to find and select the W-2 form in the File Forms section
4. In the Process W-2s for options, select All Employees or select Employee’s Last Name (choose From and To) to file by batch
5.In the SELECT FILING PERIOD section, in the Year field, enter the year of the form you are printing and click OK.
- If you choose to print the forms for 2014on blank paper, they will include the year “2015” because the year is a part of the government-approved form.
- If you choose to print the forms for 2014 on preprinted forms, QuickBooks Desktop might not print the information in the correct locations. QuickBooks Desktop will print the form details aligned for the 2015 form.
6- In the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window, select the employees you are printing for. You can also click Mark All to select all employees displayed.
7- Click Print/E-file. This will open the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window.
Things to remember:
- In the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window, the items (or copies) are listed by recipients(For employees, For employer, and For government).
- Make sure you print the W-2 Copy D, the Employer filing instructions for W-2 and W-3 forms, and the W-3 for your records.
- If you are filing Forms W-2 and W-3 electronically with the Social Security Administration, do not mail Copy A.
- If Boxes 12 or 14 contain more than 4 lines, a second form prints the overflow information. (The additional form displays only the name, address, and overflow information.)
8- You may now print your W-2 Forms.
Using blank / perforated paper
1.In the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window, select Blank / Perforated Paper.
2.Select the item (or copy) you want to print. You can print one item (or copy) only at a time except for W-2 Copies B, 2, and C.
3. Load your printer with blank or perforated paper. QuickBooks Desktop will print simultaneously for all employees selected per item (or copy). Make sure you have enough paper in your printer to complete the job.
Using preprinted forms:
- Select Preprinted Forms.
- Select the item (or copy) you want to print. You can select and print one item (or copy) only at a time.
III. Perform a print test to check and adjust preprinted forms alignment. Any adjustments you make will remain until you change them.
- Load your printer with the preprinted form of the item (or copy) you have selected and click Print.
- Select another item to print, load your printer with the preprinted form of the item (or copy) you have selected, and click Print. Do the same until you have printed all the items (or copies).
- Load your printer with the preprinted form for W-3.
VII. Click Print.
9-When done, click Close Window.
Other tasks before or after printing W2:
To set QuickBooks Desktop to automatically archive the W-2 form(s) after e-filing or printing:
1.Follow step 1 to step 6 of Printing W-2.
2.Click Close Window
3.In the Payroll Tax Form page, make sure that the Automatically create an archive when I e-file or print checkbox is selected.
This automatically saves the form (PDF format) in a default location whenever you e-file or print the form.
To view archived W-2 forms that have been e-sfiled or printed:
1.Choose Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
2.In the Filing History section, in the Saved Filings tab, a list of forms (in PDF format) printed or e-filed are listed here.
3.To open the form, click the link of the filed form under the Saved PDF column.
To save a draft of the W-2 form(s):
1.Follow step 1 to step 6 of Printing W-2.
2.Click Close Window.
3.In the Payroll Tax Form page, click Save as PDF.
4.Select a location where you want to save a draft of your W-2s.
To email the W-2 from Adobe Reader:
- Choose File> Send > Page by Email; or
- Save as an attachment and add it as an attachment to your email.
QuickBooks Desktop has the following limitation when printing payroll forms
1.QuickBooks cannot prepare your W-2/W-3 forms because the total earnings for the selected employees is greater than $9,999,999.99. QuickBooks forms do not support values that large.
2.QuickBooks cannot prepare your state or federal forms because you have more than 800 employees.
Askforaccounting.com is a trusted cloud-based QuickBooks Hosting service provider of QuickBooks Pro, QuickBooks Premier, and QuickBooks Enterprise versions. Guaranteed 99.995% uptime and 24X7 free supports enable CPAs, accountants and business owners with anytime, anywhere, multi-device access capabilities.